Psychology has been considered as one of the most fascinating fields which fundamentally examines the way people think, feel and act. Psychologists observe every aspect of human consciousness, memory as well as the basic functions of the brain. Psychology is undoubtedly a challenging major however, it is also one of the most sought-after majors around the world. After receiving a bachelor’s degree in psychology, it is possible to be employed in various fields. Students can study BA (Bachelor of Arts) in psychology or BS (Bachelor of Science) in psychology depending on the related university’s program. While BA programs open up career options in fields like criminal justice, law, business and journalism, BS graduates are generally qualified as psychiatric technicians, lab assistants, career counselors, and case workers.
Study Psychology in Canada
In Canada, psychology programs are among the most preferred programs both by Canadian students and international students. This is mostly due to the citizens’ great awareness of mental health and overall well-being as well as a common goal for positivity. Moreover, for the past 15 years, psychology has consistently ranked among Canada's top 100 best professions, with a high employment rate. Therefore, it is possible to study psychology in the best Canadian universities, receive a quality education as well as have impressive job opportunities.
Advantages of Study Psychology in Canada
There are several advantages of studying psychology in Canada. Firstly, a diploma from any Canadian public university is accepted internationally, and graduates are qualified to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). Secondly, the psychology degree programs in Canada also encourage students to engage in social science research which differentiates Canadian universities from the ones in some other countries. Lastly, international students can work as mental therapists thanks to the Co-op programs offered in psychology in Canada.
Career Paths for Psychology Degree Majors
Psychology students can choose a variety of career paths. The most common ones are clinical psychologist, educational psychologist, guidance counselor, child and family psychologist, drug and alcohol counselor, career counselor, and community projects leader.
What Skills Do I Need to Become a Psychologist?
The most significant skills you need to have can be listed as:
- Critical thinking
- Gathering data and synthesizing it
- Ability to work effectively in any kind of environment
- Being tolerant and ethical
Is Psychology Right for Me?
There are some specifications if you would like to understand whether psychology is right for you or not. These specifications are being an empathetic and open-minded person, enjoying solving problems, being a good listener and paying attention to the smallest details. Moreover since psychology is among the competitive majors, patience and hard work will be needed. If you have these qualities, a psychology major is likely to be right for you.
How Long Does It Take to Become a Psychologist?
In Canadian universities, a typical psychology bachelor takes four years to complete. On the other hand, a master of psychology in Canada generally takes two years.
The Best Universities to Study Psychology in Canada
The best universities to study psychology in Canada are University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, Simon Fraser University and McGill University.
- University of British Columbia: The University of British Columbia has a reputation for quality in both teaching and research. More than 66, 000 students from Canada and more than 140 other nations are drawn to the University of British Columbia due to the school’s significant global effect. Moreover some experts are considering the school’s psychology department as the best psychology department in Canada.
- University of Toronto: The Institution of Toronto is a public research university which is located in Toronto, Canada. The university is consistently ranked as the best university in the nation and among the top 10 public universities in the world in all major rankings. The Department of Psychology at the University of Toronto has a reputation around the world and conducts immense research in the field of psychology.
- Simon Fraser University: Simon Fraser is a public research university located in British Columbia, Canada. The university was founded to increase access to higher education across Canada. Simon Fraser has been recognized mainly for its success in the fields of business and computer sciences. However, it has been enhancing its reputation for psychology.
- McGill University: McGill is a renowned university that is based in Montreal, and it is one of the World’s top universities. McGill draws international students from more than 150 nations each year. Also, the school has particularly a strong reputation in the field of psychology.
Psychology Admission Requirement
In order to be eligible for bachelor of psychology programs in Canada, a minimum point of 6.5 IELTS, a minimum score of 100 from TOEFL IBT is required along with a letter of recommendation. On the other hand, MA in psychology programs might require a minimum score of 6.5-7.0 from IELTS. Also, A bachelor’s degree in psychology or a related field of study is required. However, it is important to note that requirements may change depending on the university.